Where on earth did 2016 go? I hate to admit it, but the old saying that the older you get, the faster time goes, seems to be true. With the beginning of any new year I find it helpful to ask questions – it’s my way to reflect on the year that was and find the possibilities that lie in the year ahead.
There can be so much power in a question. Often I hear people say that they don’t know what it is that they want, but if you ask me, it’s because they’re not asking the right questions. In a world that favours having the ‘right’ answer, over contemplating the right question, it’s no wonder people get a little lost.
So here are the 17 questions I used to start 2017. Hopefully they will be of some use to you too.
- What are you proud of about 2016? What did you achieve (big or small) that is worth acknowledging and celebrating?
- What mistakes did you make in 2016?
- What lessons did you learn from making these mistakes?
- What things and which people gave you energy in 2016?
- What things and which people drained your energy in 2016?
- What did you do too much of in 2016?
- What did you neglect, or didn’t do enough of in 2016?
- What one word would you use to describe 2016?
- What do you need to stop doing in 2017?
- What do you need to do more of in 2017?
- Who do you want to spend your time with in 2017?
- What do you want to learn in 2017?
- What are you going to do to be healthier in 2017?
- What are you going to do to be wealthier in 2017?
- What are you going to do to be happier in 2017?
- How do you want to feel in 2017? (Choose 3 to 5 words)
- What one word do you want to guide you in 2017?
Hopefully these questions will help you to create a vision for the 2017 that you want live. For my part, here’s what I’m clear about for 2017…
- I will stop putting other people’s priorities before my own
- My business will be of great service to a greater number of people
- My health, spirituality and relationships will be of prime importance
- I will spend more time in the ocean
- I will spend more time in the sun
- I will spend more time with amazing friends – old and new
- I will experiment more
- I will travel more
- I will meditate daily
- I will write consistently
- I will move my body everyday
- I will love with all of my heart, always
- I want to feel excited, joyful and free
- The word that will guide me in 2017 is ‘Believe’
Wishing you a joyful 2017!